Sandstone VS Limestone
Sandstone and limestone are two popular natural walling materials that have been used for centuries. Both have unique properties that make them ideal for different applications, and choosing between them can be a tough decision for homeowners and contractors. In this blog, we will explore the benefits and disadvantages of sandstone and limestone for use as a natural walling material.
Benefits of Sandstone as a Building and Walling Material:
- Durability: Sandstone is a hard and dense material that is highly resistant to weathering and erosion. This makes it an ideal choice for outdoor walls and retaining walls, as it can withstand the elements for many years.
- Aesthetic appeal: Sandstone comes in a variety of colours, textures, and patterns, making it a popular choice for homeowners who want to add a natural and attractive look to their homes.
- Versatility: Sandstone can be cut and shaped into various sizes and shapes, making it a versatile material for use in a variety of walling applications.
Disadvantages of Sandstone as a Building and Walling Material:
- Cost: Sandstone is a premium material that is often more expensive than other natural walling materials..
- Installation: Sandstone can be heavy to handle, making installation a challenging and potentially a more time-consuming process.
Benefits of Limestone as a Building and Walling Material:
- Cost: Limestone is a more affordable option compared to sandstone, making it a popular choice for homeowners who are looking to stay within a budget.
- Ease of Installation: Limestone is lighter and easier to handle, which can make it a simpler material to work with during installation.
Disadvantages of Limestone as a Building and Walling Material:
- Durability: Limestone is a softer material than sandstone, which makes it more prone to weathering and erosion over time.
- Maintenance: Limestone requires regular maintenance to keep its appearance and performance, including sealing and cleaning.
In conclusion, sandstone and limestone are both excellent choices for natural walling materials, but the choice between them will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the project. Sandstone is a durable and attractive option, but it is also more expensive and challenging to install. Limestone is more affordable and easier to work with, but it is less durable and requires more maintenance. When making a decision, it is important to weigh the benefits and disadvantages of each material to ensure that the right choice is made for the specific application.
Take a look at our full range of our sandstone and limestone building stone, CLICK HERE!