UK vs Imported Stone Cladding: Weighing the Pros and Cons
Stone cladding is a popular choice for both interior and exterior design in the UK. When it comes to choosing the type of stone cladding to use, there are two options to consider: UK stone cladding and imported stone. Here are some pros and cons of each to help you make an informed decision:
Benefits on UK Stone
- Supporting local industry: using British stone cladding supports the local stone industry and helps to boost the local economy.
- Natural stone: using our British cladding we know where the stone is quarried, what type of stone it is, the total process required to produce a the cladding slips. Knowing the history and location of where your stone is sources from is important to us.
- Lower carbon footprint: because the stone is sourced and processed in the UK, it has a lower carbon footprint than imported stone, which has to be transported from overseas.
- Quicker turnaround time: because the stone is sourced and processed in the UK, it can be delivered and installed more quickly than imported stone.
- Limited variety: British stone cladding can be limited to the types of stone that are available, which may not offer the same variety as imported stone.
- Higher cost: UK stone cladding can be more expensive than imported stone due to the higher labour and production costs in the UK.
Impact of Imported Stone
- Greater variety: imported stone cladding offers a wider range of colors, textures, and patterns to choose from than British stone cladding.
- Lower cost: imported stone cladding is often cheaper than British stone cladding due to the lower labour and production costs overseas.
- Carbon footprint: importing stone from overseas has a higher carbon footprint due to the transportation required.
- Quality control: because the stone is sourced from overseas, there may be less control over the quality of the stone.
- Is it real: as you don’t know the exact history and location of where the stone has come from, do you know for sure it isn’t a man made product.
In conclusion, choosing between UK, British stone cladding and imported stone cladding depends on a variety of factors, including your design preferences, budget, and environmental concerns. Consider the pros and cons of each option before making your decision.